CameraBag & Fotograf Forums
tcorson

Saving a video file takes HOURS

Hi,

I'm trying to save my 1st video using this program, but it is taking hours to complete. The file is a 1.6 GB mp4 file shot with a HERO 3 GoPro which I have saved to my hard drive. I have replied to the following questions in red underlined italics using the guidelines requested;

1. Repeatable bugs: (Saving an mp4 file I have just edited take several hours to complete.) 
  2. What the bug is: What did you expect to have happen: (I expected the file to save within seconds to a few minutes, MAX!), and what happened instead (it takes hours)? Also, if you get an error message, please tell us (no error messages so far, but still waiting for my 1st file to finish saving)!
  3. Steps to repeat the bug: Give us the script. We need to know what to do to repeat the bug on our systems. The simplest set of steps to repeat are the best--tell us exactly what we can do on our systems to see the bug you have found; what do you do every time that makes the bug happen every time (I apply some filters to the mp4 video I have imported from my GoPro, select "Save as", and then watch the "progress" timer slowly count down from over 300 minutes)?
  4. System/app version/file details: Set the stage. Tell us what operating system (and version of that OS) you are running as well as what version of the app you are running (OS X Yosemite: v 10.10.5  Processor: 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5  Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB  Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. Camera bag Cinema: v 1.0.103)
  5. Other info: Any additional info you have is welcome! Is this bug new to this version of the app? Have you recently updated your system? Anything else change on your system around the time the bug appeared? (I purchased your software today and am trying to save my 1st edited video file. I do not have any other programs running in the background.)

Thank you,

TC

Hey there, rendering time depends on several things - resolution, what filters you have applied, etc. The modeled film grain especially adds time, so you may see dramatically faster times when not using film grain. Also, 4K footage takes 4x as long as standard HD footage. We're always looking at ways to speed things up though. How long is the video clip you're processing that is 1.6 GB, and what resolution is it?

Oh my! This is my first try at this using a video of a band that I shot last weekend. Using a brand new MacBook Pro 3.1 GHz Intel Core,  i 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Memory, Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB running High Sierra

4K file is a 12 GB mp4 and 35 minutes in length. The venue dark, so of course there is "noise" in the video. After three hours of rendering the new file is 2% done! At this rate it would take more than one week to render!

Edited by Rgator

Oh my, again! You mean the numbers running by are the estimated number of minutes left to render? It keeps bouncing around back and forth at about 5120! That's 85 hours! Ouch!