CameraBag & Fotograf Forums
Strahanad

Processing never completes

Pursuant to your guide lines, this issue has occurred each time.  I have a 47 second 4K clip that I imported into CBC for the purposes of testing the program through color correction.  I applied the Color Essentials 10 filter to the clip, previewed the adjustment,  then attempted to save it.  The first time I selected H.264 compression.  In all cases the clips were on the desktop and saving back to the desktop.  No external devices were used.

I allowed the clip to "process" for over 2 hours.  It NEVER saved.  I thought the H.264 codec might be the issue, so the second and third time I left it in a mov format with ProRez 422 (Native Size).  Again, the processing exceeded 2+ hours and never completed.  Finally I tested this with a 20 second clip to which I applied Log 7 grading.  Same results.  Processing was indicated on screen, but the clip never completed.

I'm running a MacBook Pro with 10.11.15 (El Capitan); 16GB ram.  If I'm unable to save the adjusted footage, the program has zero value to me.  Any help/suggestions are appreciated

Can you email us the file (or a link to the file posted to google drive or something) at support@nevercenter.com? We'll happily try it ourselves and see what's going on.

We've tested the clip you've sent under several export settings and filters and can't repeat your bug - it always correctly completes processing for us, including using ProRes422 at native size, h.264 at native and reduced sizes, with Color Essentials 10, and with no filter. Does the exact version you sent us (it's a 10-second clip) cause the problem for you with the latest version of CameraBag (1.0.600)? Trimming the clip may have changed something at the end of the file that was causing it to never complete.

Having a similar problem with a 29Meg video file straight off the iPhone.  The first time I went to custom crop it, the application segfaulted.

The second time, I went to apply a set of filters (see uploaded images) and the software just hung forever (see uploaded logs).  Attempting to cancel items in the queue did nothing.

Curiously, I was able to generate a short preview, but as for actually processing a completed video, it never finished - - just made the fans kick on.

The log is filled with strange messages like endTime must be greater than startTime, FigAssetReader returning err -12780, an assertion failure, a BUG in libdispatch client, a permissions denied on an output file (hold-that-thought), kernel warnings that a thread was caught burning CPU for over 180 second, the app not responding, Perf capability check failing, Decode error (-12903), IQ-CA rejecting report of layer being serviced, unexpected preroll-complete notification, etc.

The save video file when processed in Photoshop (which does video as most folks here know), worked without a hitch.  It's not the video file.

(Resuming from the Hold-That-Thought above) -- I think I know where the "bug" is.  And I can recreate it.

When I did my first Save As... from the first time I went to run the app, I gave a filename and hit OK believing it would save to the same directory where the source file was.  It did not.

In fact, the CPU spun, the system got hot, and the file did not appear -- which is why I went to save again (and hence you see a 1 of 2 in my queue).  BTW, it's quite disturbing I can't see what's in the queue (feature request, with queue item cancelation).

When I went to re-save, I saw that it was trying to put it in the root directory, that is /, by default. :ph34r:

This is clearly not allowed by policy, and I suspect the software runs into a problem where it's unaware it got a permission denied.  At that point, the queue item isn't removed.  (Note, manual removing from the queue doesn't work.)  

After quitting the app and restarting (now the third time, and reconstructing the filter chain), I explicitly went out of my way to save to the Desktop.

That worked, actually.

So, I'd recommend trying to repeat the bug: create the default condition of "accidentally" saving to the root directory of the hard drive, and seeing if the problem appears. For me it is repeatable. Saving to the root directory (which I think no one intends to do, but the default start does) puts the software in a tail spin... including not being able to cancel the processing, which is its own separate bug.

El Capitan 10.11.6 using Camerabag Cinema 1.0.600 (NC).

Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 10.08.08 AM.png

CameraBag Cinema.log

Hi all, I just downloaded a trial and was trying to save a 13 second clip. Imported it from my iPhone through iPhoto. Did a few corrections, colour, contrast, sharpening and saving/processing never ended. I had to quit the app. Is there any news or fixes to this issue yet?

cheers

thomas

Hi Thomi, is it suggesting the root directory for you as well? Could you try specifying a different folder when you save and see if it still hangs?