CameraBag & Fotograf Forums
Augustin

CPU use

In the Apple Pro Ress 422 HQ files rendered on a IMac I7 with 16 GB RAM and 4GB VRAM Cam. Bag Cinema is using only 50% of CPU. Sometimes only 4 cores instead of 8 ( I have 4 physical and 4 virtual ). Final Cut itself uses for the same type of file ALL 8 cores at 100%. Because of this the rendering time is huge..24-30 ours for 2 ours of movie etc. Please how can I increase the use of CPU? Thank you!

INDOOR-Apple ProRes 422 HQ_batch.mov

Interesting - I'm not sure how the virtual cores are treated in the functioning or reporting. We query the system for the number of cores and then use them all, so apparently it's telling the software you have 4 cores and is using those. I'm not familiar with virtual cores, they don't sound like they would actually boost performance because theoretically they would be using the same physical cores that are already being used. If you have any info to share on how this works, we'll happily take a look. Also make sure you have the latest update to CameraBag Cinema - we dramatically increased the speed of the film grain algorithm so that videos using grain render 3 or 4 times as fast as before.

Its called Hyperthreading, a feature that Intel is using it from more than 10 years in all their CPU's. A 4 cores unit CPU is being seen as 8 with this feature. They said its improving the speed by little. I told you this for information, problem is that when I render in Camera Bag the 4 cores are on 50 per cent only. I did install the Camera bag Cinema 1.0.600 I'll see how this works. Thanks.

Another question : The Apple Pro Ress 422 HQ in my Final Cut ProX is giving much larger files than Camera Bag for the same codec render - Pro Ress. What kind of Apple Pro Res is Camera Bag giving , because there are 3 of them - PRO RESS 422 HQ, PRO RES 422 and PRO RESS LT.

Thanks for the info, yeah I'd imagine that's a very small performance gain but we'll look into it. The Pro Res version CameraBag uses is standard ProRes 422, unless you select the Pro Res 4444 option.