CameraBag & Fotograf Forums
Doug Pardee

Applying a cinematic border (CB Photo)

This article suggests that one part of getting a "cinematic" look to a still photo is to crop it to a wide ratio, then add window-box borders out to 16:9. This is very easy to do in CameraBag 2 or CameraBag Photo.

1. Activate Crop/Straighten and select an Aspect of 2.39:1 (the last choice on the list). Straighten and adjust edge positions as appropriate. Click Apply (CB2) or Done (CB-P).
  2. From the Adjustments tab, add a Fill Border, and select Aspect Ratio of 1.85 and set the color to black (0,0,0).

That's it. I've saved off the border created in step 2 as a personal preset. With CameraBag 2 but not CameraBag Photo, you can also save the crop as part of the preset. CB-P doesn't seem to like crops in presets, though, so I don't recommend doing that.

DPardee_160709_XT10_3275-cineborder-small.jpg

Edited by Doug Pardee
  • Thanks 1

Nice. Also, I think you should be able to do this in CBP by adding an Aspect Ratio tile to the preset (instead of a crop tile).

7 hours ago, john said:

I think you should be able to do this in CBP by adding an Aspect Ratio tile to the preset (instead of a crop tile).

Unfortunately, it seems that the Aspect Ratio is always applied after the Border.

On 10/21/2016 at 4:59 AM, Doug Pardee said:

Unfortunately, it seems that the Aspect Ratio is always applied after the Border.

Ah, good catch. We've added that to our bugs list. Thanks!