CameraBag & Fotograf Forums
Dave

El Capitan Photos Extensions, Please

I currently use Fotograf as my main editing app on my iPhone and love being able to use it non-destructively through the Photos extension. This is a much better workflow than taking a photo, editing in an external app, saving a separate copy of it, etc. I’d purchase CameraBag in a heartbeat if I could do the same thing on my Mac, and would love syncing filters between CameraBag and Fotograf!

• Like 1

I've happily purchased Camerabag for Mac and would love to have it act as an extension of Photos. My current workflow (export original, load in Camerabag, edit, export, re-import into Photos) is very clunky and an extension would really streamline things.

• Like 1

I agree with Greg. It is not possible to use CameraBag with Photos like how it used to work with Aperture anymore (drag and drop).

Would be really great to have an extension!

• Like 1

love Camerabag,

I am a mac user, and though, I kinda wish i had not done so yet, I went to EL Capitan & Photos

I have been using 2.7 for a while, which I purchased from the App store.

I was really annoyed when I became aware I could not drag and drop photos from the new PHOTOS app into CB2.7

I updated just now to CB2.8

I appreciate your attempt to help us that have moved to Photos, to access CB2.8 though the PHOTOS extensions, but it is too simplistic.

ONLY FILTERS, no access to features without exporting, bummer....

I really need access to all the features in CB 2.8 by dragging and dropping like i could with CB 2.7 in IPHOTO.

This exporting  and work flow arrangement is clunky, and makes me eat up disk space and complicates my  file naming etc...

hence I am using CB much less than  I used to...... I would prefer to be using it more.

I touch up a lot off photos. sometimes hundreds everyday...

You guys were on the tip of my tongue as the coolest thing  for photos ever, But well, uhh errr...

PLEASE add this feature... You have never  answered several emails I have sent to you. I hope this finds you ear...

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

We would LOVE to have more fully-featured access through Extensions or drag-and-drop ability between Photos and CameraBag (like with Aperture/iPhoto and CameraBag previously); unfortunately, this is related to the new restrictions Apple puts on apps and how they can interact with each other. :(  Our hands are tied until they make some changes on their end.

In a nutshell, the access we have is limited by Apple's rules, and we are only using Extensions because Apple insists on it. Apple has currently disallowed sharing data between an actual app and that app's "Extension", which means we can't give users access via the Extension to new user-created filters or some other features of the app. They also do not allow the drag-and-drop opening with Photos that used to be allowed with iPhoto, insisting that these files can ONLY be shared through their new Extensions setup. So we're stuck with either limited Extension access or the clunky export/edit/re-import to Photos.

We'd love for CameraBag users to write Apple and ask them to allow Photos to interact with external photo apps like could be done in iPhoto--rather than insisting apps only interact with Photos through their new Extensions setup. This would allow US to make CameraBag play well with Photos (drag and drop) just like it used to play with iPhoto, which we would happily do if they allowed it. As people have mentioned, it's not hard to do programmatically; it's just Apple's rules preventing us from doing it.

I have been using products from MacPhun with Aperture.  There extension work seamlessly with Aperture. eg; edit in ADR and import back into Aperture.  I am little confused why now I don't have the capability in CameraBag & Aperture?

Thanks, Nor10. Since Aperture is no longer being supported by Apple, we also don't have plans to support it specifically.

Is there any news on bringing Extension support to CameraBag 3?

Or at least something a bit more automatic than the existing painful process? Perhaps an Applescript?

I thought "External Editors For Photos" would be the answer but it returns an error about CameraBag.