CameraBag & Fotograf Forums
ElecProg

A vectorscope with a skin-tone line and targets.

Hey,

I was looking at the chrominance chart and I still think that a more traditional vectorscope is easier to use (but that can just be me, failing to understand the chart). However something a lot more important is the skin-tone line which seems to be missing.

Whenever you try to colour correct a picture (or video) the most important thing is to get the skin-tone's right.

Another important thing on a vectorscope are the colour targets (these are especially important when using something like a Macbeth chart).

Sincerely,
Evert Provoost

• Like 1

Hey Eric, would be happy to work to improve our vectorscope implementation. Can you tell us more about what the targets in a traditional vectorscope do for you that the top lines in our implementation don't? Can you show us an example of a skin tone line that you find to be useful in a traditional vectorscope implementation?

Hi,

If I'm correct the chrominance chart is basically an unwrapped version of the vectorscope? The dark grey lines show the max saturation of the colourspace and the lighter lines of a normal TV. So the colour targets in a traditional vectorscope are then just the angles in the light grey line. So the only thing that isn't yet there are the I, -I, Q and -Q lines Doug already showed, however the only thing really necessary is the I line (the one between yellow and red) which, if I understand the chart correctly, would just be a vertical line.

Sincerely,
ElecProg

Yep, the CB vectorscope is unwrapped, and exactly - the angles in the lighter (mostly-lower) line are essentially equivalent to the target areas in a regular vectorscope. What are those notches in the I-axis marking?

I couldn't find anything about them on the internet but it seems as if they indicate 50% saturation. I have never seen them before on any vectorscope I have used. To me, those notches aren't necessary, the positive I-axis itself is.

• Like 1