CameraBag & Fotograf Forums
oktchau

Annoying warning when opening files on the Steam version

Hi! When I try to open a picture file on CameraBag from Windows with the "open with" menu, Steam gives this prompt screen (attached).
Might be a small issue but it's very annoying having to deal with this warning or dragging the files to the app.
On CameraBag2 I used to open files this way without this warning so I hope it's an easy fix.

Capturar.JPG

Huh. That is an interesting one, and this is the first report we've seen of it. Thanks for sending it in; we'll see if we can replicate the message on our systems (first step to changing it). Have you gotten this with other Steam software, as well, or just CameraBag Photo?

Any other Steam CameraBag users here on the forum getting a similar message?

Thanks for the reply! To replicate it just right-click on a JPG file, go to the "open with" menu and select Camera Bag. It probably won't do anything or open a blank window. The prompt only reveal itself when you focus on the Steam window.

I haven't got this type of warning on any other Steam app but I can't really think of any other software I use on Steam that I open with the "open with" command. Anyway, since CameraBag2 didn't had this warning I hope it's fixable.

Sorry we missed your reply for so long!

It sounds like the problem is related to Steam security--in that they set the system to confirm you want to 1) launch Steam and 2) run a game and 3) include a specific file as part of that process... before just doing that (unusual-for-Steam-games) task automatically. Although opening a photo in CameraBag wouldn't be a security issue, it is possible that opening some malicious file on your computer in a different "game" that was intended to cause harm could cause unexpected behavior on a computer; our guess is that Valve has this prompt set up as part of Steam to ensure that you didn't accidentally click on something. The confusion here is that Steam is actually starting up and then running CameraBag, rather than CameraBag running on its own, so this prompt doesn't come from CameraBag 3 Photo, but instead comes from the Steam app engine.

This security check may have been included with an update to Steam itself--does CameraBag 2 still open JPGs without the popup or is this now also an issue with CameraBag 2?

We'll see if there is anything we can do on our end, but since the message is actually coming from Steam, you may want to contact them and see if they can tell you how to disable it on their system. (Sorry we aren't able to offer more of a fix immediately from our end!)