CameraBag & Fotograf Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nevercenter

CameraBag 2.8 is Released!

Introducing CameraBag 2.8: Your Most-Requested Features!

We're excited to announce the immediate availability of CameraBag 2.8! This update is FREE for existing CameraBag 2.x license holders, and has a renewed 2 week trial period for anyone wanting to just try it out. (Free trial download at http://nevercenter.com/camerabag/desktop, click on the blue Download button at the top of the screen.)

This v2.8 update includes some of your most-requested features:
5 new types of histograms and other useful scopes (use number keys 1-5 for shortcuts).
The ability to zoom and see your image at full resolution (scroll up/down).
An all-new Photos extension for OSX El Capitan users.
Various bug fixes.

See more at http://nevercenter.com/camerabag/desktop/whats_new/

How to update (existing users):
You'll want to update the same way you purchased your original CameraBag 2.x license. 

If you purchased via our website (nevercenter.com, or via a reseller like SmithMicro) and have a registration code, then you can download v2.8 directly from the CameraBag page on our site: http://nevercenter.com/camerabag/desktop Your same registration information will unlock the newest version.

If you purchased via the Mac App Store, please download the update from the Mac App Store. Licensing is done via Apple and you do not need a registration code. P.S. If you’ve purchased CameraBag through the Mac App Store, please do us a big favor and leave us a review or update your existing review: http://appstore.com/mac/camerabag2. Thanks!

If you purchased via Steam, please download the update from Steam. Licensing is done via the Steam Store and you do not need a registration code.

Edited by Nevercenter

Yeah, the Windows download file contains only the main program, not the whole installation package. I've already sent an email to support, so hopefully they get it fixed.

For now, you can install 2.7 if you don't already have it, then replace the "camerabag 2.exe" file in the 2.7 installation folder with the one from the current 2.8 download. That seems to work, at least for basic stuff. I haven't had a chance to really put it through its paces.

I love Camerabag,

I am a mac user, and though, I kinda wish i had not done so yet, I went to EL Capitan & Photos

I have been using 2.7 for a while, which I purchased from the App store.

I was really annoyed when I became aware I could not drag and drop photos from the new PHOTOS app into CB2.7

I updated just now to CB2.8

I appreciate your attempt to help us that have moved to Photos, to access CB2.8 though the PHOTOS extensions, but it is too simplistic.

ONLY FILTERS, no access to features without exporting, bummer....

I really need access to all the features in CB 2.8 by dragging and dropping like i could with CB 2.7 in IPHOTO.

This exporting  and work flow arrangement is clunky, and makes me eat up disk space and complicates my  file naming etc...

hence I am using CB much less than  I used to...... I would prefer to be using it more.

I touch up a lot off photos. sometimes hundreds everyday...

You guys were on the tip of my tongue as the coolest thing  for photos ever, But well, uhh errr...

PLEASE add this feature... You have never  answered several emails I have sent to you. I hope this finds you ear...

Hi Lekkerville,

Thanks for your feedback!

We would love to have more fully-featured access through Extensions or drag-and-drop ability between Photos and CameraBag; unfortunately, this is related to the new restrictions Apple puts on apps and how they can interact with each other. :(  Our hands are tied until they make some changes on their end.

In a nutshell, the access we have is limited by Apple's rules, and we are only using Extensions because Apple insists on it. Apple has currently disallowed sharing data between an actual app and that app's "Extension", which means we can't give users access to user-created filters or a lot of the other features of the app. They also do not allow the drag-and-drop opening with Photos that used to be allowed with iPhoto, insisting that these files can ONLY be shared through their new Extensions setup.

We'd love for CameraBag users to write Apple and ask them to allow Photos to interact with external photo apps like could be done in iPhoto--rather than insisting apps only interact with Photos through their new Extensions setup. This would allow US to make CameraBag play well with Photos (drag and drop) just like it used to play with iPhoto, which we would happily do if they allowed it.

Heya,

quick question:

I read that the photos extension is only available if purchased through the Mac App Store. 

a) is this correct and b) will it always stay that way? 

purchasing from you directly seems to be better (but the extension is pretty cool so I wouldn't want to miss out here)

cheers

Edited by Mully

oh and while we're at it - I understand that it's not possible to import filters to the photos extensions. if that's the case how about adding a second extension for the old filters from previous versions of camera bag. Heck even an extension only pack (or maybe two: one for the current (awesome) subtle filters and one for the (more extreme) old filters) without the actual app would be cool for some people.

• Like 1

Heya,

quick question:

I read that the photos extension is only available if purchased through the Mac App Store. 

a) is this correct and b) will it always stay that way? 

purchasing from you directly seems to be better (but the extension is pretty cool so I wouldn't want to miss out here)

cheers

Hey Alex! Thanks for your thoughts and input.

Yes, currently the photos extension is only on the MAS version of CameraBag. Unfortunately, it will stay that way unless/until Apple decides to change the sandboxing rules for extensions, or we sandbox the version sold on our site.

Currently, the version on the MAS is sandboxed, because Apple now requires that all MAS apps be sandboxed. The version on our site is not, because when it was initially released Apple's sandboxing wasn't even a thing and so we stuck with the same file setup there as we always had. To explain a bit:

The pros to sandboxing are: the app can be sold through the MAS, and Extensions are something we can offer.

The pros to NOT sandboxing are: we can offer more other features--sandboxing limits what the app can access on the computer, disallowing features such as using arrow keys to browse through the other images in the same folder as your current open image, etc.

Also, if we start sandboxing the version sold from our site at this point, customized Presets would be lost for many people and need to be manually restored. This is because Sandboxing ALSO requires that we store the filters is a much deeper/harder to access place on the computer, so when the sandboxed version of the app went to look for the custom-added filters, it would be looking in the wrong place. (These Presets could be moved to the new folder by the user, but the change would affect ALL CameraBag Mac users who had purchased from our site previously, and probably cause some alarm/concern in the process.)

Not sure what the future brings for that decision, but at least now you can see some of the thought processes. :) Perhaps we will hit on a happy solution to solve this and get the best of both worlds.