CameraBag & Fotograf Forums
lancia

CameraBag 2 crashes when opening CR2

1. What the bug is: Camera Bag 2 (steam) crashes every time I try to load a CR2 file.  I get a generic windows error that says "CameraBag 2.exe has stopped working"  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
  2. Steps to repeat the bug: Click file>load photo> select a CR2 file
  3. System/app version/file details: I have windows 10 pro with all the latest updates.  I have the most current version of CameraBag 2 from Steam (just bought and installed).  I have a brand new Canon 6D and I can open and edit these CR2 files in other programs.
  4. Other info: JPGs load fine and all the features seem to work on the JPGs.  I tried to attach the file but I get an error uploading.  My guess is because it is too big (~27MB).  This  may be the reason behind the crash as well?

I found a workaround that kinda sucks but works.  The problem appears to be related to STEAM running while you are running CB2.  The problem is that if you shut down Steam, it closes CB2.  If you try to launch CB2 from the exe, it launches Steam.  The only way to close Steam with CB2 open is to use task manager and force close Steam.  Please fix this.  Either allow the exe to be launched without launching Steam or figure out why Steam is causing CB2 to crash.

Can you send us an email at support@nevercenter.com with the file attached? Very interesting that it only crashes when loading raw files. That's a great clue, thanks for doing so much research on that.

Hello,

I just signed up to report that I have the same problem in CameraBag Photo (CB3). Yet it's not always repeatable.

Sometimes some CR2 files will open and sometimes they won't. What I was usually doing at this point is rebooting the computer and it would solve the problem temporarily. However, if one file can't be opened once, high are the chance I will never be able to open it until I reboot.

Today I tried killing the Steam.exe process and, yes, it solved the problem : My unopenable file is now open in CameraBag Photo. I tried to open a few other CR2 and they are all fine.

So I don't know how Steam is controlling CBP but there is something going on here.

My photographies comes from my Canon 7D, they are CR2 files that I open with the help of Canon's drivers, and they are about 28MB each. I'm myself on Windows 7.

Is there a workaround to run CBP by bypassing steam ?

Actually, killing Steam.exe isn't doing good. I can open the file but I can't save them, it is crashing again. However, I've tried again while using Steam on Offline mode and crashes have been way less recurring. During my 6 hours of work, I crashed maybe 2 times, because of too consuming effects I think, which is quite nice.

I really like your software and I really hope you'll figure out and fix the problem related to Steam. Please keep the good work going!

Hi there, we're having trouble tracking this down. If either of you are interested I'd like to send you some non-steam test builds. Could you contact support@nevercenter.com and mention me (John) and the "Steam CR2 bug"? Thanks for your help!

-John