This page contains tutorials and information covering specific Silo tools, tips, and workflow. To add your own tutorials, click here. Modeling tutorials which may be of general interest should be added to General 3D Modeling Tutorials
- Getting Started - Introduction into Silo basics including viewing, selecting and manipulating an object.
- Sticky Keys - Explains how pressing and holding keys in Silo can temporarily engage or toggle a tool. Download here
- Subdivision - Explains how subdivision can smooth the look of final model but still allow for base mesh manipulation. Download here
- Customization - Explains the high degree of customization available in Silo. Download here
- Selection Modes - Shows the various selection moddes available in Silo. Download here
- Manipulators Video - Explains how the different manipulators work in Silo. Download here
- Viewport Navigation Video - Explains how to change angle and size used to view an object. Download here
- Video Tutorials from Andy Kinsella (Cinnsealach) Andy covers numerous modeling techniques, including Modeling Holes Without Booleans, Modeling Cogs, Modeling Threads, and Modeling coils.
- Cut Tool Mini Tutorial from Andrew Larking Andrew covers the basics of the cut command.
Guide to Silo Commands (Mini-Videos)
- Creating a Match Box - video only by Juan Carlos Montes
- Basic Polygon Modeling using Silo 1.4 (Creating Firefly Spaceship) - Very detailed 9 part series by John Graham virtua3D
- UV Unwrapping - Audio and Video by Wes (vx8323)
- Preinted UV Tutorial Basic UVs in Silo 2 by 3dEE
- UV Unwrapping in Silo 2 Beta - Video only
- Box Modeling Character Head Creation using Silo 1.4 - by Glen Southern (requires free membership to view)
- Human Skull - Video only by ktysdal
- Character Nose Modeling Based on Photo - Video only by Krypton8910
- Speed Sculpt with Silo 2.0 Character Head - Audio and Video by phrenzy84
- Sculpting a Head - Videos by 3dEE
- Helmet Creation Using Base Shape - Audio and Video covers basic silo tools as well as shell by Tadd Mencer
- Making a Nose in Silo 2 - High speed video only by Andrew Larking
Tips and Tricks
- Multiply Segments - Video explains how to use mirroring and other tools to create multiple identical segments.
- Orient Tool with Soft Selection - Silo's Orient tool can be used with Soft Selection to quickly adjust your model. Orient's default hotkey is Y, and the Soft Selection radius is being changed interactively via the mouse scrollwheel.
- Switch viewport in split layout whilst preserving selection - Click in new viewport using Shift + Right Mouse Button.
Conversion Guides For Users of Other Software
- Modeling a Character in Silo - DVD by Josh Robinson
- Get into Silo: The Definitive Guide - DVD by Glen Southern
- Silo II Modeling a Head - DVD by Glen Southern