In Silo's default selection scheme, the left and middle buttons of the mouse are used in combination with keyboard modifiers to perform all selection functions. Generally, left click is used to select visible elements (the front-most ones which can be seen on screen), while middle click is used to select through (elements which can be seen as well as those which are hidden by other elements but fall within the area of selection). Make special note of Tweak listed below, as it is one of the most useful selection tools in Silo. All mouse controls can be modified in the Mouse Settings and all keyboard shortcuts can be modified in the Keyboard Settings.
Select Visible: Left Mouse Button
- Use to select visible components (only the foremost components).
Select Thru: Middle Mouse Button
- Use to select through components (visible components as well as components which are obstructed).
Tweak: Ctrl + Left Mouse Button
- If nothing is already selected, then Tweak will temporarily select whatever is currently under the mouse, and you can drag the mouse to edit the selection with the current manipulator. When you let go, it will be deselected, eliminating the need for extra keystrokes before making a new selection. For example, you can use Tweak with the Move manipulator active to quickly grab and adjust vertices as you refine your model's form. If something is already selected, then Tweak will perform the manipulator's function on that selection, even if it isn't currently under the mouse, meaning you don't have to precisely grab the manipulator handle to use it. Understanding Tweak is central to working quickly in Silo.
Select Add: Shift
- Hold while selecting to add elements to the current selection.
Select Subtract: Alt + Shift
- Hold while selecting to remove elements from the current selection.
Select Complement: Ctrl + Shift
- Hold while selecting to toggle elements between selected and deselected.
- Select an individual element (object, face, edge, or vertex) by clicking on it with the left or middle mouse buttons. This will not preserve the previous selection unless modifier buttons are being held.
- Click and drag to area select, lasso select, or paint select, depending on the style chosen from the Selection Style menu. This will not preserve the previous selection unless modifier buttons are being held.